I’m not going to blather too much on here. Just dot down some bullet points to update you and remind my future self how things are going:
- My running streak is still alive, it hit 3 years as of yesterday. My real celebration happened in October, when I passed day 1024:
Today, I unlocked 11th bit: 1024 consecutive days running. To celebrate I ran long way home (10.24 miles). Dat pace. pic.twitter.com/p2qUMIRetw— Simon's Calf (@simonscarfe) October 21, 2014
- Weight is once again well up. This is a problem I continue to have despite putting in 40-60 miles most weeks. It’s the result of a bad diet, a complete lack of discipline, and the high mileage.
- I read “Racing Weight: How to Get Lean for Peak Performance“* over the Christmas break. It has given me a lot of ideas about how to lose weight while doing my lengthy commute runs.
- One of the things it recommends is to track body fat rather than weight. So I got myself a set of Omron BF508 Body Composition and Body Fat Monitor Bathroom Scales* in the Amazon Boxing Day sales. I don’t know how they compare to “accurate” methods of measurement. It is a baseline from which to track my progress.
- According to the book, I’m in the 5th percentile of “athletes” of my age. I’m not an athlete, but it gives me an idea of what other people doing a similar workload to me carry. It also tells me that maybe I should look after myself better.
- Currently, I’ve marked the book as 3 stars on Goodreads. I shall revisit this in about 6 months and review it based on my results.
- I once again intend to update this thing more, as a blog that reflects me and where I am right now. Expect more running, more tech stuff, as well as some reflection on the things I have consumed. Revisiting that stuff is both rewarding and useful. I should do it more.
* I’ve stuck some affiliate links in there. Delete them if you care.